Monday, March 17, 2014

Jofa goalie helmets

While I have previously posted the pic of my Soviet goal jersey and my San Diego Samurai goal jerseys a while ago, I didn't post the helmets I wear with them when wearing them in goal.

Both of them are decorated with vinyl decals.  Most of the decals were obtained through the website stickeryou  by using my icoke.ca points - unfortunately the free icoke deal is ending the end of next month.

With all the roundness in the Jofa helmet getting the larger decals to lay flat can be a bit of a challenge.  With certain types of vinyl some people use soap and water mixture on helmet or mask to help it lay flat.  I think some heated it up to help stretch the vinyl when laying it down.  There is some info on these methods in the goaliestore.com thread on vinyl mask graphics:
http://goaliestore.com/board/forum/equipment/equipment-forum/96191-vinyl-mask-graphics
may be something in the thread on 'Helmet decals' also.
Myself, if I remember correctly, I don't think I used soap and water or heat but just tried to stretch the large ones out a bit when putting them on.  Takes a bit of patience - more than I have much of the time.  The results were far from perfect but not too bad.

Here's the Soviet one.  A Jofa 390 helmet with the Jofa 267 cage and a lacrosse dangler:


Here's the Japan one.  A Jofa 390 Helmet with a Cooper GL100L cage/dangler.


The clips on the side of the Japan one are homemade; just doubled up and cut some of the metal strapping of the kind that is used to hold up duct work.  The clips on the side of the Soviet one are some picture hanging clips.  Have since found and bought some of the clips made for this helmet (have one set installed on one of Jofa helmets I use to play "out" - defence and forward).

You may have noticed a couple stickers that don't match the Japan/Samurai theme - the IVO and Czech shield stickers were a memorial for one of the players, who passed away a few years back, in the afternoon group I currently play in.

No comments:

Post a Comment